© Foto: Oberösterreich Tourismus GmbH/Robert Maybach: Gesellige Runde am Wolfgangsee
Gruppe junger Menschen auf einem Steg am Wolfgangsee

Pfarrkirche Sankt Pantaleon

St. Pantaleon, Oberösterreich, Österreich
The parish church of St Pantaleon
In the south entrance hall of St Pantaleon's parish church hangs a picture depicting the legend of the church's construction: The church was to be built on the so-called "Heiligenstatt", but the building materials had been moved several times during the night from the planned building site to the place where the church stands today. Although the beams and stones were transported back again and again during the day, the spectacle was repeated. It was said that angels brought the building materials back to Weng again and again, as it was God's will to build the church in what is now St Pantaleon.
It is not known exactly when the church was built, but probably not before 1400. Its core is Gothic. The church initially had a flat wooden ceiling, which was vaulted in 1641, and the north-facing extension was completed on both long sides in 1640 and the south-facing extension in 1644/46. The Gothic tower in the west was raised and baroqueised in 1674. In 1665, Michael Mayr, a carpenter in Mattighofen, created the new high altar for 239 fl, which was painted by Wolf Gunzinger and Tobias Schinagl. The two side altars were created by Sebastian Dusler.
On 8 February 1786, St. Pantaleon separated from St. Georgen in the Salzburg district and became a parish in its own right. St Pantaleon has been a place of pilgrimage since 1607.
Important artists such as Michael Vierthaler decorated the church. The sacristy and pulpit were designed by Michael Littmann. The frescoes of the four evangelists were created in 1893 by the famous local painter Franz Kohlbacher. Particularly beautiful: the monstrance, a reliquary bust of St Pantaleon, an almost life-size depiction of Christ on the scourging column and numerous carved statues of saints. Also worth seeing are the altars of the gallery churches and the octagonal pulpit dating from 1673. The high altar is dominated by a large figure of the patron saint, St Pantaleon. The life story of the saint is depicted in three large paintings in each of the two gallery churches. In 1973, the pews were renewed and a church heating system was installed. In 1978, the church was renovated inside and out. St. Pantaleon celebrates the name day of its local patron saint on 27 July.
One of the most famous parish priests of St Pantaleon is HW Johann Veichtlbauer. He founded the Catholic boys' association, the theatre society and the Innviertel Folklore House in Ried. Johann Veichtlbauer worked as a priest in St Pantaleon from 1909 to 1933. Johann Schausberger is currently the pastor of the parish.

  • opened daily

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers
  • Suitable for teenagers
  • Suitable for seniors
  • Suitable for single travelers
  • Suitable for friends
  • Suitable for couples
  • Suitable for children
  • Spring
  • Summer
  • Autumn
  • Winter

Please get in touch for more information.


Pfarrkirche Sankt Pantaleon
Kirchenweg 1
5120 St. Pantaleon

Phone +43 6277 6223
E-Mail gemeinde@st.pantaleon.ooe.gv.at

Contact person
KonsR Johann Schausberger

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA