Weidenholz Castle

Waizenkirchen, Oberösterreich, Österreich

The Moated Weidenholz Castle sprawls along the outskirts of Waizenkirchen and is encircled by a ditch.

Weidenholz Castle probably was founded in the early 13th century. Several notable people have owned or been linked with this Moated Castle, among them the Dynasty of the Starhemberg, the Schaunberg and Duke Albrecht III of Austria. In the hands of Achaz of Losenstein the village of Waizenkirchen received the status of a market place. The Castle was then possessed by Hans Ludwig Count of Kuefstein, who became the provincial governor of Upper Austria in 1631 and founded the hospital at Waizenkirchen.
In 1930, the local authority of Waizenkirchen purchased the Moated Castle with all its hides of land. Since then Weidenholz Castle has been used as a residential building and has been home to the provincial music school since 1992.

  • Can only be viewed from outside

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers

Please get in touch for more information.


Weidenholz Castle
Marktplatz 3
4730 Waizenkirchen

Phone +43 7277 2255
Fax machine +43 7277 2655

Contact person
Marktgemeindeamt Waizenkirchen

We speak the following languages


powered by TOURDATA