49. Capuchin Monastery
Built from 1636 to 1645
Consecrated in honour of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary
Today a branch church of the Catholic parish church of Gmunden
The Capuchin monastery was built according to the wishes of its founder, Emperor Ferdinand II, as a base for the missionary work in the Salzkammergut. The foundation stone of the church and monastery was laid on 5 October 1636. On 25 November 1645, the church was consecrated in honour of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary. During the Second World War, the monastery had to be completely evacuated. However, the church was preserved for pastoral care. In 1958, the altarpieces by Philipp Haller were restored and re-installed. In 1964-1967, the interior of the church was redesigned, and the exterior was thoroughly renovated in 1978. Since the dissolution of the monastery in 2007, the sacred building has been a daughter church of the Roman Catholic parish church in Gmunden.