©
© Foto: Oberösterreich Tourismus GmbH/Robert Maybach: Gesellige Runde am Wolfgangsee
Gruppe junger Menschen auf einem Steg am Wolfgangsee

60. Lake Castle Ort

Gmunden, Oberösterreich, Österreich

First documented mention of a moated castle in 909
After the Peasants' Wars, the castle was not rebuilt until 1634

The Seeschloss Ort is located on a small island connected to the Toskana peninsula by a wooden bridge about 120 m long. It is the landmark of Gmunden. Until a few years ago, the spelling "Orth" was still common. On the left side of the inner courtyard, various high-water marks are marked, according to which the high water in 1594 in the Seeschloss Ort reached a height of 2.97 m and thus the top step of the ambulatory. The small castle chapel is dedicated to St. James. The castle tower, behind which the much smaller church tower almost disappears, bears the date "1092". The altarpiece depicts "Assumption of Mary", attended by James the Elder, the church patron.

Travelling by public transport
Route planner for independent travellers

Please get in touch for more information.

Contact


60. Lake Castle Ort
Ort 1
4810 Gmunden

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA