In the Middle Ages pilgrims reached the Wolfgang route, which leads from Regensburg to St. Wolfgang, Mondsee at the Hochkreuz chapel, where they could gather before they moved to the Benedictine abbey.
It can be assumed that larger groups were received here by the clergy and accompanied to the monastery church.
Since when the chapel at today's Duke Odilo Street exists, one does not know. The stone with the monogram Abbot Wolfgang Haberl and the year 1516 refers in all likelihood only to the frescoes of the facade, which are certainly from the time and were attributed to Wolf Huber, but possibly originate from Mondseer painter Ulrich Bocksberger.4)
According to the inventory of 1843, the Great Cross created Frater Aemilian ordin. Bened. Lunaelac (1639 - 1711) around 1700, the two thieves a little later. At the beginning of the 18th century a mural painting was placed behind the cross. As a result of damage, they were painted over and painted wood panels were added as replacement, which will need to be restored after their rediscovery in 2016. Since the outer wall was also provided with new pictures, it can be assumed that the frescoes from the time of Wolfgang Haberl were already overpainted.
During the renovation work in 1967, remnants of the murals from the 16th century were found and uncovered and restored by Prof. Sühs. In the year of 1997 further painting was necessary, in 1997 the renovation of the roof. The restoration of the frescoes proved to be urgently necessary already in 1999. In 2015/16 a thorough renovation was carried out, so that the chapel with its art treasures from the 16th century shines in new splendor on the 500th anniversary.4)
The publication "The Chapel, High Cross' Mondsee - 500 years", written by Dr. med. Leopoldine Swoboda and Pastor Dr. Ernst Wageneder, gives a great insight into the importance of the chapel and its works of art.
For more than 60 years, the chapel is looked after by the family Niederreiter (formerly Strobl). The "nine courses" in the Kartagen stop here. Several times a year services are held in the chapel (Mayan Mass, Holy Mass for the Feast of the Cross on 14 September).