54. Municipal Theatre
Opened in 1872 as a spa theatre
First owned by the theatre director J.M. Kotzky
Since 1918 Municipality of Gmunden
In 1872 the newly built Gmunden municipal theatre opened its doors to the public. The first few decades it was owned by Salzburg´s theatre director J.M. Kotzky. In 1913 the municipality Gmunden bought the movie theatre licence and from then on operated a movie theatre in the theatre building. In 1918 Kotzky sold the seasonal theatre to the municipality too. On April 24, 1931 the first sound film performance took place in the theatre. In May 1949 the revamped theatre building opened with a festive academy. In 1997 the to date biggest remodelling of the theatre took place. The part of the theatre facing the street was completely remodelled. In addition, a small room containing most modern technology and interior design was established. Nowadays it is mainly used for cultural events and cinema. The stage area was equipped with additional lighting which can be controlled automatically and the stage system was redeveloped. A buffet was built into the theatre´s foyer and a bar was opened on the first floor.