Dating back to the second half of the 13th century
1963764 a second, equally big gate was built
The gate is a remainder of the old town fortification and was built to protect Gmunden´s inhabitants from attacks from the east. It is believed it originated in the 2nd half of the 13th century and was extended twice from 1870-71 and 1963-64. Back then, a second gate was built next to the old Traun-gate after the demolition of the north-facing, bridge-protruding chamber office wing.