51. Carmelites Monastery
Founded in 1828 by Aloisia Petrowitsch
1835 Consecration of the church
The monastery was founded by the Gmunden maid Aloisia Petrowitsch in 1828. Endowed by her employers, the Traweger siblings and the physician Dr. Seutin it was inhabited by Carmelites from Prague. On August 5, 1835 the festive opening of the church took place and in 1857 the neighbouring house – formerly the Bader-house at Klosterplatz 8 – was bought, attached to the monastery and remodelled. In 1898 an increase was added to the building stock. The monastery was not dissolved by the Nazis but had to take in nuns from dissolved monasteries in Graz and Mayerling. During the 2nd half of the 20th century the chapel was completely reshaped. The monastery´s garden is not open to the public.