47. Castle Cumberland
Built from 1882 to 1886 by order of archduke Ernst August II of hannover, in neo gothic windsor style
The beautiful castle Cumberland is situated atop a small hill overlooking the small natural lake Krottensee and a park which invites to strolls along the promenade. Archduke Enst August II, Prinz Royal of Hannover purchased large areas of land near the Queens Villa in the northern area of town in 1882 and built this magnificent castle atop a small hill in a neo gothic Windsor style from 1882 to 1886. The Guelph´s moved into the extensive and pompously equipped castle in 1886. The Prinz Royal lived in exile in the castle from 1886 to his death in 1923. His mother as well as other members of the family have been set by in a mausoleum next to the castle.
The castle was transformed into a Guelph´s house and family museum in 1930. The national socialist party turned the castle into a district school in 1938. Serving as a war hospital from 1940 to 1945. After the war the Austrian Republic took over Cumberland castle and from 1947 to 1972 it served as a TBC hospital. After a thorough disinfection the castle was turned into a state care home. The care home was officially opened on 8th January 1973. On the 1st January 1979 the whole complex was sold to the Upper Austrian Government and is now called the state care and assistance centre Castle Cumberland.